Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Scotchapanese Shortbread


Meri Kurisumasu! My KFC "rotisserie" chicken lunch and Christmas cake were a really big let down, so no pictures of them. In fact, I don't even really have any photos from my Christmas Eve party, because only 4.5 people came. It was still better than being alone, but I was a little sad that none of the neighbors were brave enough to venture over to my place. I was so looking forward to introducing them to mulled wine and Christmas cookies (thanks, Cathy! Oishii desu!) BUT, despite the fact that I had to be at school on Christmas, I made the best of it. After school (did I mention that this is winter holiday and yet the students are STILL here? I think they have special classes to prep for upcoming national exams) we went to the food lab and made hot cocoa (with marshmallows and choco Pocky sticks), eggnog, and did our best to make Scotch Shortbread. Mom must've been laughing herself silly watching us. I must say it's great to have eager students - I didn't even have to get my hands dirty! We've learned that the ingredients and baking sheets & oven are slightly different here, but the students all scarfed up the goodies anyway! I was also a big hit in the staff room later when I brought around samples of eggnog. Or maybe that was the brandy talking? Hmm...Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just finished talkin to Dad - told me about his great conversation with you last night and his cam-tour of Christmas decorations at your house. What a kick! Certainly is a perfect way to visually explain all the holiday decorating traditions we have in the States. Snowing right now and I was out taking night shots of the Christmas lights on the homes in our circle. Am sure enjoying YOUR photos, Trace. Keep "clicking and posting." And I'll keep looking. Love you, hon.

Anonymous said...

What does .5 person look like? Pregnant lady? Someone totally drunk so they were taking up space but not really there? Curious minds want to know...

I'm guessing they also didn't celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. day this week... :)