Saturday, March 24, 2007

Rantan Matsuri


Nagasaki's Lantern Festival is held each year here around the Chinese New Year, and I went over to see it on the Saturday after my birthday. I usually like wandering around festivals, seeing the street performers, smelling the food, watching the people. I was amazed to see what they could do with "lanterns" - Kelly, I think this looks like a really good project for Sculpture II/III :) I'll put up more photos later...time for me to sit back and relax for a bit. Had to ride all over Isahaya on my bike in the POURing rain today...
By the way, I leave for a two week Japanese language class in Fukuoka tomorrow, and I don't know what internet connections will be like...
Oh, and I hope you like the sign - it's one of a series, but I didn't think you could handle more than one at a time :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is your b-day on the 23rd?

Tracey said...

My birthday was (and still is, I guess!) March 2. I got to catch the tail end of the festival. Did you see the taiko teams? They played music that was very different from the ones I've heard before - a cool blend of the traditional and pop music it seems. Eventually I'll put up a short video clip I have of them.

Anonymous said...

This festival was held right outside my apartment window, so yess I saw and heard it whether I wanted to or not..haha...Not sure if I saw the taiko drums but I did see alot of lanterns and chinese acrobatics. My b-day is March 23rd, so happy b-day to you and me :P ..hope all is well, never got a response from my last email :P ...Jon

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE LUMINARY LADY! I bet that was beautiful. Don't know if we can handle that in class. Are ya having fun still? K