Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Don't touch the monkeys...

When I went to Beppu, everyone said I HAD to go see the monkeys on Takasakiyama (yama = mountain). MONKEYS?! Wild MONKEYS? Of course I went. The sign here killed me. Please do not to feed, touch, make fun of, or stare in to the eyes of "Taka-kun" (the name representing all monkeys on the mountain).


But after having a closer look at the monkeys - the bigger ones, anyway - I was sure to NOT stare at their eyes...they were a little bit scary! The babies were really cute though. Ironically, the Japanese word for cute (kAwaii) sounds very similar to the word for scary ("kOwai"). Can you find the monkeys in the trees there?

NEED MORE MONKEYS??? Click on the link above and it will take you to a slide show of all the photos from my trip. Well, not ALL the photos, I did edit out the ones from the "Museum of the Hidden Treasures" since this is a family show, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slide show was wonderful! Enjoyed all the baby monkeys...

Especially loved the "mud bath" pictures. How do you REALLY feel after an experience like that.

Aunt Barb

Anonymous said...

Very cool... made more sense once I shrank the pictures and saw the captions- I thought those really were fish you could eat! :-) Pictures of the monkeys are so clear - you could sell them to the park to use for postcards. Mud bath didn't look like I'd expect, but it did look relaxing!