Thursday, February 07, 2008

Hip Hoppin' Blossoms


Well...not exactly. The hip hopping was after I saw the blossoms. Saturday I met two former students in Fukuoka and went to see the ume (plum) blossoms in Dazaifu. The shrine should look familiar, since I went last year, but this year I got to see the flowers (they're only around a short time at the beginning of February). They were just starting to peek out, but they were worth the trip. Click on the link in the title to go to see other photos from Dazaifu and the hip hop class. You can read about that in the comments under the photos - I've got to catch a train now to Fukuoka - again - because I fly out of there tomorrow to go to the snow festival in Sapporo. ja, ne!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did the plum tree fly?
Why is 34 a 'special' age? (btw - I am of 'advanced maternal age' - how's that for a lovely phrase?!?!)
Where's the picture of you hip hopping?
The 'stark' photo is really cool - would like to see that one blown up...

Anonymous said...

Tracey---

Fascinating photos---Is there a time limit before your dream comes true? Sounds like Japan is really full of stories----and you are researching so many of them.

Enjoy each day---and keep smilin'

Love-----Cathy

Tracey said...

Cara -
As far as the plum tree flying goes - I'd say watch some of Miyazaki's films and you'll get the idea that the answer to some mysteries is simply magic :)
(here's a wiki link to "Spirited Away" - one of his films - HIGHLY imaginative -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirited_Away)

As for the unlucky age of 34 - great - I just looked this up and found a site -
http://goasia.about.com/od/countriesaz/p/HounenMatsuri.htm
and apparently 36 is unlucky, too. It keeps following me...anyway it's called "yakudoshi" - and I'll see if I can find out more about it...

As for hip hopping Tracey - she's taking the photos - she didn't feel like spending $30 to dance for an hour with people half her age :)

And you're welcome to take my "stark" photo and blow it up :)