Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rajio Taisou

...which literally means "radio exercise," and it's broadcast by NHK every morning. From what I understand, it is an exercise routine that the Japanese learn when in elementary school, and they do it before sports functions, at camps, and at some companies. Here is a picture of the group doing it at the ichinensei "boot camp", but I also did it before the town sports day in Takaki and at the volleyball match I did last month. It's very funny, since the music is classically ridiculous to my western ears, and no one really stretches properly. It's still great fun, though. It's one of those "catchy" ridiculous things - you find yourself humming the song long after it's stopped. That is of course why I'll let YOU do the web search to find the song - so you can't blame your insomnia on me :)

1 comment:

Gina said...

Just the mention of an unforgettable song sends me into a day-long "It's A Small World" spell.

Thanks for that.

LOL

The other song that gets stuck and won't leave is the theme from the 1982 World's Fair. Yeah, it is so "catchy" that 25 years after it was last played it still pops into my head unbidden.

Please make it stop!!