Friday, July 13, 2007

Typhoon Man-Yi


For those of you who haven't heard, there's a typhoon headed in my direction. More alarming than this, however, is the utter lack of concern amongst my colleagues...However, the school is actually closed tomorrow (though there was a juicy rumor circulated amongst the students that while the 1st & 2nd year students could stay home, the sannensei would have to go to school!). What? Kanko closed? Maybe this IS serious...
No, no, not to worry, I think at most it'll be akin to a cat 1 hurricane, and I've heard that though it may hit Kyushu, our prefecture should (just) get a lot of rain. Whew! - thank goodness - more rain. I was afraid I might actually see the sun again this summer -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most Japanese dont' worry about typhoons because they are just so common in the neck of the world. Typhoons also seem to be always lesser in strength than a hurricane or more mild. I've been through at least a few typhoons in Japan and really its nothing..little windy, nice rain..and that's about it...nothing like the hurricanes i went through in Florida. I have to write a paper now but I'll email ya later..thanks for the reply.. Jon

PS..They might stop the trains though so if it starts up make sure you are where you need to be. If its too windy they could derail.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the storm shouldn't be too bad - do they have the equivalent of FEMA for those who get displaced? :) Would be interesting to compare responses...and complaints!
And just to make you feel better, yesterday Dallas had its first rain-free day in about 2 months (literally). Upside is that we haven't had to turn the sprinklers on since last fall - really! - downside is mosquitos and frantically growing bushes...
Hope you're on 'high' ground! Stay dry...